Practical Skills to Teach Your Child this Summer
You can teach basic life skills to your kids this summer. These are important parts of developing your children into well rounded and happy adults.
I would like to share with you a list of 12 basic skills that are important to teach your kids before they leave home. You do not have to do them all at once, and they may already know some of the skills. Find out what they know and go from there. You can turn each lesson into fun activity each week. Then practice, practice and practice.
List of things you can teach your kids this summer:
1. Grocery shopping – shopping with a list and finding deals in weekly adds, can save them a considerable amount of time and money.
2. Cooking a simple dinner – there is more to cooking and baking than simply opening a can or reheating a meal.
3. Laundry – it’s important to sort your laundry not only by color, but by fabric type and care instructions.
4. Basic Gardening – how to grow and care for a plant. This is a relatively easy and inexpensive way to instill responsibility. I’d start with an easy to care for houseplant or a potted tomato plant out on the deck.
5. Fixing a Car – how to do standard maintenance on their cars like change the oil and various filters as well as top up fluids and replace light bulbs.
6. DIY – how they can have a lot more fun if they build things from scratch. I’m thinking birdhouses, step stools, go-karts, kites and paper planes.
7. Simple Sewing Skills – how to hem pants, sew on buttons and mend socks.
8. Keyboard – how to type properly with both hands on the keyboard. In a society where computers are used for nearly everything, learning how to type properly will increase their efficiency and productivity.
9. Money – the concept of compound interest. Who doesn’t want to make interest on interest?
10. Budget – how to create an effective budget that allows them to live within their means and continually increase their net worth.
11. Navigation – how to read a map and use a compass.
12. Prayer – teach your child how to pray and trust God.
What else would you add to this list? Let us know in the comments.