A Little Inspiration for Your Summer
Yesterday I stood in our orchestra room listening to Jenny Oaks Baker, Mr. Brown, and our orchestra students rehearsing “Amazing Grace” for a free concert this weekend at Abravanel Hall. I caught a glimpse of the temple through the window, and felt transported by the music to a peaceful and heavenly place. In case your summer could use a little more music, theater, and all-around inspiration, we thought you might be interested in the following details about some of the exciting performing arts opportunities coming up in the AHS community:
* Tomorrow and Saturday, July 12 and 13 – Days of ’47 Concert featuring violinist Jenny Oaks Baker and tenor George Dyer, 7:30 PM at Abravanel Hall in Salt Lake City – FREE CONCERT! The American Heritage Lyceum Philharmonic is performing in this annual celebratory event sponsored by KUTV 2 and Salt Lake County. The Philharmonic is performing works by Dvorak and Copland as well as popular favorites such as Battle Hymn of the Republic, Colors of the Wind, and Amazing Grace. This is a RARE opportunity to hear the Philharmonic, a 100-voice adult choir, and two AMAZING soloists in a completely free concert at Utah’s premier concert hall absolutely free. No ticket required.
* Saturday, Aug. 10 – Lyceum Music Festival Concert featuring The Piano Guys! Students from across the nation gather each summer at the stunning Zermatt Resort to be mentored by amazing guest artists like the The Piano Guys as well as Utah Symphony musicians, and American Heritage Lyceum Philharmonic Director Kayson Brown. The Piano Guys are selling out venues much larger than ours at prices over double what this Festival event costs so we anticipate a sell-out concert. Get your tickets while they are still available at http://www.american-heritage.o
* The American Heritage Lyceum Philharmonic album Hearts & Minds is now in stock at Deseret Book stores across the country. Radio host Steven Kapp Perry dedicated an entire podcast to this remarkable album that in so many ways has come to symbolize what American Heritage School stands for. You can enjoy this podcast for free at: http://thecricketandseagull.co
* American Heritage Lyceum Orchestra auditions take place September 4th. Students wishing to take part in this award-winning program should sign up for an audition and begin preparations now. See http://www.american-heritage.o
* The Trail of Dreams. Auditions for the American Heritage School Drama Department’s “The Trail of Dreams” are happening this summer, August 23-24, with call backs on the first day of school, August 26. The Trail of Dreams is a powerful story of love and overcoming trial on the Mormon Pioneer trail. For more information, see the following link: http://www.american-heritage.
We recently welcomed home our American Heritage Youth Chorus, who completed their cross-country musical fireside and Church history tour to Nauvoo, Illinois, and also our 8th Grade Shakespeare Troupe, who just returned from their annual summer tour to the Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City, Utah. Many thanks to the army of teachers, parents, and volunteers who made those experiences possible, and Welcome Home!